Countryside to Capital
Starting in the beautiful unspoilt Cotswold countryside, exploring the different ways the countryside changes as you travel, and ending in the vibrant capital of London.
We’ll greet you with bikes and a warm welcome in the pretty village of Lechlade-on-Thames and set you on your adventure.
You’ll stop overnight at the varied towns of Wantage, Wallingford, Henley-on-Thames and the royal residence at Windsor. Discover the back lanes and beautiful scenery which still exists, hidden along the route to the capital – you’ll travel through deer parks and royal gardens, past historic landmarks, and along the river Thames flowing ceaselessly towards the city, as you cycle at your own pace along the route. If you choose a self-guided holiday, to help you explore at your leisure and avoid the crowds, we’ll provide a very detailed personal travel guide developed by us Bainton Bikes locals. You’ll finish in the bustling cosmopolitan metropolis of London, with a final free day at the end to explore the city, all with the help of our carefully designed travel guide.
All our holidays are fully supported end to end. We provide high quality ensuite accommodation (including breakfasts), luggage transfers (room to room), high specification bikes, travel maps, our exclusive travel guides, and mechanical support (if needed).
Available as either guided or self-guided adventures.Show less
Tour Length- 130 Miles / 210 km
Difficulty – Easy / Medium
Tour Duration – 6 days
Suitability – Touring, Electirc and Tandem Bikes
Guided – Available guided or self-guided
To view a full route description and itinerary please download our brochure.
Wide open English Countryside
- Enjoy the tranquillity and beauty offroad in the Cotswold countryside
- Ride trough protected deer parks
- Experience the River Thames from a humble stream to the beating heart of London
- Enjoy scenic routes, both on road and gravel paths
- Visit an award wining Chilterns vineyard
- Ride through the Wittenham Clumps, described as ‘Beautiful legendary country haunted by gods long forgotten’
Vibrant towns and villages
- Stay in Lechlade-on-Thames which dating back to 2500BC
- Stay in the world-renowned Henley-on-Thames
- The Royal Town of Windsor with its dominating Castle.
- Explore the highlights and hidden gems of London with our travel guide
- Enjoy local produce at unblemished Chiltern villages
Historic points of interest
- Stay in Lechlade-on-Thames which dates back to 2500BC
- Visit the tantalising Bronze age White Horse Hill
- Try calling King Alfred’s soldiers at the Blowing Stone
- Visit the grand Abbey of Dorchester-on-Thames
- Enjoy Runnymede, the birthplace of modern democracy
- All accommodation booked
- Bikes – standard or electric
- Bicycle equipment – Pannier bags, rack pack, map holder, water bottle holder, cycle computers, basic tool kits
- Bike fitting – we set up the bikes for you, adjusting the handlebars and saddles accordingly
- Travel guide – packed with details about all points of interests visited on your trip
- Route Guide – never get lost with our detailed route
- Plotted details maps – detailed ordnance survey maps provided
- Personal recommendations for lunch, dinner, drinks and snack stops
- Door to door luggage transfers
- Travel pack – waiting in your room on first nights arrival detailing your holiday
How fit will I need to be?
The holiday routes are designed to help explore the area and you don’t need to be a super fit athlete to enjoy the ride! These are family friendly routes
Is this tour suitable for children?
This really depends on your child; you will know the answer to this better than we do. The routes are family friendly, but you will need to pedal during the day.
What if we break down?
We supply basic breakdown kit tools to help you get back on the road, but we will of course come and see you if you get stuck and need help.
How does luggage transfer work?
We collect your bags from the hotel and move them to your next accommodation. Where possible we take your bags into your rooms.
What meals are included?
Breakfast is included each day with your accommodation. You will have the option of a full English (cooked breakfast) or cereals and pastries.
Where will I stay?
In carefully selected accommodation on the route, all booked in advance by us. We will confirm accommodation with you prior to your arrival. Expect a mix of luxury and comfort.
Will anyone from your team meet me?
100% we will meet you on the day you start your tour and will try to meet you each day to collect your luggage. We also like to call the hotels each night to ensure you have arrived safely and check if there is anything we can help with.
What is the cancellation policy?
This depends on the hotels, normally a full deposit can be refunded if you cancel 2 weeks prior to the start date. This will be confirmed at the point of booking.
Bikes and Equipment
We use high quality bikes for our excursions, with both standard or electric bikes available. All bikes are fully serviced and set up for your safety and comfort. Water bottle holders, speed / distance computers, map holders, rear pannier bags are supplied as standard as well as touring pack to help carry small items of luggage or shopping picked up along the way.